This version of the FCCS course is designed for the individual, self-directed learner using online tools. This program is also available in other formats (see below).
This popular online course addresses fundamental management principles for the first 24 hours of critical care. This course is ideal for the non-intensivist who needs to manage a critically ill or injured patient until appropriate care consultation or transfer can be arranged. It also provides an excellent foundation for residents and other trainees and includes a comprehensive textbook
The FCCS course was prepared under the direction of the SCCM by leading international multiprofessional critical care educators in anesthesiology, emergency medicine, internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, pharmacy and nursing. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS SELF DIRECTED COURSECourse Purpose
- To better prepare the non-intensivist for the first 24 hours of management of the critically ill patient until transfer or appropriate critical care consultation can be arranged.
- To assist the non-intensivist in dealing with sudden deterioration of the critically ill patient.
- To prepare house staff for ICU coverage.
- To prepare nurses and other critical care practitioners to deal with acute deterioration in the critically ill patient.
- Prioritize assessment needs for the critically ill patient.
- Select appropriate diagnostic tests.
- Identify and respond to significant changes in the unstable patient.
- Recognize and initiate management of acute life-threatening conditions.
- Determine the need for expert consultation and/or patient transfer and prepare the practitioner for optimally accomplishing transfer.
Fundamental Critical Care Support (FCCS) is designed to prepare health care professionals caring for unstable, critically ill or injured patients. Likely participants include:
This online course includes: Pre- and Post-Tests
- Physicians who are new to critical care practice
- Advance Practice Nurses and Physician Assistants with limited critical care practice
- Rapid Response/Medical Emergency Team members
- Nurses caring for complex and potentially unstable patients
- Critical care fellows and residents beginning their training
- Health care professionals who are new to critical care practice
Online pre- and post-tests validate the learners’ knowledge accrual following participation in the online FCCS Course. Tests have been structured to reflect the course content. A post-test score of 70% or higher is required for successful course completion and continuing education credit eligibility. Course Textbook
The FCCS textbook (English) is an excellent desktop reference and is included with registration for the online course. It is mailed to the participant after registration. The text is comprised of 16 chapters and is appropriate for primary care physicians, emergency physicians, residents and fellows, physicians assistants, nurses, and other personnel who care for the critically ill and injured. Topics covered:
- Recognition and Assessment of the Seriously Ill Patient
- Airway Management
- Cardiopulmonary/Cerebral Resuscitation
- Diagnosis and Management of Acute Respiratory Failure
- Mechanical Ventilation
- Monitoring Blood Flow, Oxygenation, and Acid-Base Status
- Diagnosis and Management of Shock
- Neurologic Support
- Basic Trauma and Burn Support
- Acute Coronary Syndromes
- Life-Threatening Infections: Diagnosis and Antimicrobial Therapy Selection
- Management of Life-Threatening Electrolyte and Metabolic Disturbances
- Special Considerations
- Critical Care in Pregnancy
- Ethics in Critical Care Medicine
- Critical Care in Infants and Children: The Basics
The text also includes several important appendices with content that serves as reference material on current critical care practice. These include:
- Medical Emergency Teams
- Endotracheal Intubation
- Airway Adjuncts
- Advanced Life Support Algorithms
- Intraosseous Needle Insertion
- Temporary Transcutaneous Cardiac Pacing
- Arterial Catheterization
- Brain Death and Organ Donation
- Tetanus Immunoprophylaxis for the Injured Patient
- Unfractionated Heparin Anticoagulation
- Short ACTH Stimulation Test
- Thromboprophylaxis for Venous Thromboembolism
- Pediatric Normal Values
- Simulation in FCCS
Not included in the online formatPresentation Format
The FCCS online course is presented in English. Presentation materials appear onscreen and include narration and access to slides in Adobe PDF Format. Interactive activities keep the learner engaged. The learner has the ability to leave and return to the course at any time, restarting the program or continuing where the learner left off during the prior session, as well as the ability to go back and review any previously viewed material. The online program is available immediately after purchase and remains available to the registrant for four weeks from date of purchase. The program must be viewed while connected to the Internet. This online program is best viewed using Internet Explorer, although it may also be viewed using other browsers which can view Adobe Flash files. (Not currently compatible with Apple Mobile OS [i.e., iPad, iPhone].) Once you have completed the registration process, you will access the course by logging into www.MySCCM.org
A post-test score of 70% or higher is required for successful course completion and continuing education credit eligibility.Physicians:
Accreditation and Designation Statement: The Society of Critical Care Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Critical Care Medicine has designated this online activity for a maximum of 6.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits
™. Each physician should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity.Nurses:
The Society of Critical Care Medicine is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (#8181). The FCCS course will provide up to 6.5 contact hoursPharmacists:
The Society of Critical Care Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. This activity will provide 6.5 continuing education hours (0236-0000-11-500-H01-P)
After participating in the activity, Pharmacists will need to complete the evaluation and credit application. Upon submitting this information and SCCM verifying the information, a certificate can be downloaded and printed.Pricing
(for online course inclusive of textbook)Members:
$175 plus shipping/handlingNon-Members:
$225 plus shipping/handlingCLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS SELF DIRECTED COURSEOther Formats Available
The above program is also available in an instructor-led online format
as well as a traditional, live instructor led format
which can be hosted at any institution, meeting or other face-to-face learning event by a qualified instructor. Both of the instructor led formats include clinical skills stations.